Friday, June 1, 2012

Growing up in Wisconsin—land of Easter snowstorms and 70-degree days in mid-January, my body trained over 24 years to survive windchills in -30Fs and sustained summer heat waves in the low triple digits—my senses are not finely tuned enough to appreciate much difference between March and June in San Francisco. There’s a certain damp chill to the mornings that almost invariably burns off into warm blue-sky afternoons. I hear the fog patterns vary from season to season, and that pleasant summer days can turn swiftly from sundress-appropriate to mukluks-and-muumuus weather.

So I wonder: How will I mark time here, without pronounced seasons? How many people, events, books, and realizations have been tagged in my memory with whether the air felt hot and sticky or ungodly frigid, or fresh and cool after a spring rain, whether the sky was that blinding October blue or evenly gray or crowded with towering thunderheads, whether the ground was white or brown and muddy, whether I wound a scarf around my neck or rued my lightest linens for trapping too much heat?  

The first time I realized I loved so-and-so, it was early spring and the grass throbbed green, and we stretched out near the bike path and talked about Lacan. The first time I struggled to balance my sometimes-dueling commitments to human rights and pacifism, I perched on the low wall behind College Library, overlooking Lake Mendota, which was steel gray and tossed with waves, blasted by a November wind. I first picked up Wendell Berry’s works on an October evening so sweet and warm, and as I savored the words, I savored what I knew would be the last agreeable day in six months. When I remember the Wisconsin protests, I remember the way the damp February chill crept up through the soles of my boots and how I stomped-stomped-stomped to keep the feeling in my toes.

The  memories I’ve made here so far are already hard to place. Oh, on that day, it was sunny and warm, though the morning wasn’t… and isn’t every day the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment