Monday, November 26, 2012

Hearty Sausage-Lentil Soup, with some thoroughly terrific tinkering

Brown one pound of turkey sausage. Saute two medium onions, chopped, and two garlic cloves, minced, until tender. 

Add
2 cups lentils
1 Tbs. salt
1/2 tsp. marjoram
2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. cumin
2 c. diced tomatoes
4 cups water
4 cups beef broth
browned sausage

Simmer 30-45 minutes or until tender.

Serve over bread. Add Tabasco sauce and/or pepperjack cheese.




This soup got better than ever. It needs to be better than ever, since I'm trying to head off a cold. 

2 comments:

  1. I made this, today, or a meal inspired by it, sans tomatoes and cumin, with duck stock (because I happened to have some on hand, and it seemed just right), thyme, and pretty shards of kale. Perfect. So glad you inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! :-) Kale would be awesome in this soup, and the duck stock sounds like a darn good interpretation, too! Tell me why (or how, in what dishes) I can come to love thyme, though.

      I hope you are well, and Adam and Reed and Helen and the baby-baby.

      Delete